Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

​Assistance Programs

Caregiver with lady  doctor with patient

Notice Categories: 



Tax Relief Forms


Property Tax Relief Forms - for the elderly and persons who are permanently disabled
Reduction of City Auto Fee - for the elderly
For more information go to Mecklenburg County Office of the Tax Collector's website



Disability Rights and Resources



Provides assistance for disabled customers moving from a facility (including homeless shelters) to an independent living situation.   Flyer




Legal Services for the Elderly


Legal Services for the Elderly is a program of:
Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy
5535 Albemarle Road       
Charlotte, NC 28212

Office Hours:
Monday – Friday
8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
704-334-0400 – Legal Services for the Elderly Hotline
704-376-1600 – General Intake Line
800-438-1254 – General Intake (Outside Mecklenburg County)
800-247-1931 – Spanish Language Line
Legal Services for the Elderly (LSE) provides a full measure of justice for those in need.  LSE empower residents of Mecklenburg County who are age 60 or older to make their own plans and decisions governing end of life issues; enable them to retain their property and assets unencumbered by debt; protect them from predatory lenders and other financing abuses; and assist them in obtaining government sponsored benefits.

  • Preparation of simple wills and advance directives
  • Powers of Attorney
  • Health Care Powers of Attorney
  • Living Wills
  • Consumer
  • Home Foreclosures
  • Predatory Lending Practices
  • Exploitation of the Elderly
  • Unfair Debt Collection Practices
  • Age Discrimination in Housing
  • Government Benefits
  • Medicaid and Medicare
  • Food Stamps
  • Social Security and SSI
  • Guardianship of a Disabled Spouse
  • Uncontested Grandchild Custody.



North Carolina Foreclosure Prevention Fund


Get Help to Save Your Home - Flyer
The N.C. Foreclosure Prevention Fund helps North Carolina homeowners who are struggling to pay their mortgage due to job loss or other temporary financial hardship that occurred on or after January 1, 2008.
If your goal is to obtain employment that will allow you to keep your home, it can provide temporary assistance to pay your mortgage while you search or train for a new job. The Fund provides assistance at no cost to you.

The Fund offers zero-interest, deferred loans up to $24,000 to cover your mortgage and related expenses for up to 24 months. If you live in one of the 50 counties with the highest unemployment,
you may be eligible for up to $36,000 over 36 months. The loan can also be used to bring your mortgage current.
Am I Eligible?
You may be eligible for help if you:
• are unemployed through no fault of your own or are earning less than you have in the past, or
• are facing a temporary financial hardship, such as a divorce, serious illness, or the death of a co-signor
To be eligible, you must also:
• need assistance with payments for your principal residence, which must be located in North Carolina,
• have satisfactory mortgage payment history prior to your job loss or financial hardship,
• demonstrate an ability to resume your mortgage payment once assistance ends, and
• be a legal resident of the U.S.
How Do I Get Help?
The first step is to make an appointment with a participating, HUD-approved housing counselor, who will let you know what documents you need to gather. The counselor will review your situation with you and help you complete an application.
If your lender has already started foreclosure proceedings and you meet preliminary qualifications, the N.C. Housing Finance Agency may issue a temporary stay-of-foreclosure while your
application is under review.

If you qualify for the loan, the N.C. Housing Finance Agency will make your mortgage payment directly to your loan
provider or bank. At the end of the assistance period, you will resume making your own mortgage payment.
You will pay no interest on your loan, and if you remain in your home for 10 years, your loan will be considered satisfied and
you will owe nothing. Your counselor can provide details.
Serving your area:
Charlotte Mecklenburg Housing Partnership, Inc.
For more information go to the website or call 1-888-623-8631.



Weatherization Program - Heating and Air Repair & Replacement Program  - Free


Detailed Information on the Weatherization Assistance Program and Heating & Air Repair & Replacement Program

The contracted provider for Mecklenburg County is Blue Ridge Community Action.  You can contact them at 866-427-6452 ext 326

You Do Not have to own your own home to be eligible.  Renters must have written permission from their landlord.  Available for single family homes, apartments, condominiums and mobile homes.


  • Evaluation, clean & tune of major air & heat source (central air unit, furnace & heat pump)
  • Weatherization to your home
  • Insulation in your attic, walls & crawlspace
  • Smoke/CO alarm
  • Furnace filters
  • Aerorators (2) for kitchen & bathroom faucet
  • Low-flow showerhead

Call 919-707-9198 for more information.



Hours: Mon-Fri  8 a.m. - 5 p.m.